The Media Suite annotation tool started to be built by reusing previous applications developed at The Netherlands Institute for Sound and Vision during projects such as LinkedTV , Axes , ArtTube , and lately the project The Mind of the Universe produced, among others, by the Dutch broadcaster VPRO. In the first project (LinkedTV), a strong emphasis was put on the automatic extraction of entities (e.g., names of persons, locations, buildings, etc.) from the spoken, written and visual message. Since this extraction could not fully rely on automatic means, a decision was taken to focus more on manual annotation and using automatically extracted information to aid the annotator (by displaying entity word clouds, or shot and scene thumbnails, or delete some of the automatically suggested links to web pages when these were unreliable). This tool was improved in the AXES project, where users were offered a way to annotate videos with the purpose of creating a “ground truth” to be used in further evaluation of video hyperlinking.
In this way, the editing tools evolved into a manual annotation tool that has been “rebuilt” within the CLARIAH Media Suite infrastructure. The tool is currently evolving to incorporate the most essential functionalities (i.e. segmenting, tagging, commenting, linking, and adding personal metadata via customizable templates) that were detected to be necessary in the aforementioned projects.
You can read more about this tool and how it has been used in scholarly research by one of the CLARIAH research pilot projects in: Aasman, S., Melgar Estrada, L., Ros, V., Slotweg, T., & Wegter, R. (2018). Exploring Video Annotation for Doing Media History. VIEW Journal of European Television History and Culture , in print .
How to use
The control buttons are still under development, but the hotkeys allow you to create segments.
Essential keyboard shortkuts:
- i (input key, start from a segment)
- o (output key, end from a segment)
- SHIFT+s (save the segment as an annotation)
- SHIFT+e (open annotation tool in a pop-up)
- SHIFT+n (new segment)
Other useful keyboard shortcuts (on test for Version 4):
- SHIFT + i (jump to the marked starting point)
- SHIFT + o (jump to the marked ending point)
- SHIFT + 1-9 (jump forward x seconds in the video)
- Left arrow (jump 1 minute back in the video)
- Right arrow (jump 1 minute ahead in the video)
- CTRL+n (new segment from the end of the selected segment)
- SHIFT+rechts (select the next segment)
- SHIFT+links (select the previous segment)
- SHIFT+a (add new annotation to the resource (as a whole))
Note: to assign a title to your segment, use the “metadata cards”, the title is set to use the value you enter in the “metadata.title” field. in the new version of the Resource viewer/Annotation tool, if you don’t assign any value, the title will be generated by the comments/codes/links
(Last update: July, 2018) . If you have any questions, please contact us .